View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
DiggerG
DiggerG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (world)
Modding My Kindle

Well, wonder of wonders. I was just given a new Kindle (Wireless) for my birthday!!I have been dithering for weeks about which reader to buy and now having played with the Kindle for several hours, it just may be a keeper.

My main reasons to keep it (in addition to it being a really thoughtful and serendipitous gift) is that the Amazon store is the largest source of ebooks that I read and it is really easy to subscribe to newspapers and magazines - something I very definitely want to do.

What I didn't like about it was the keyboard which I thought would get in the way and interrupt the flow of the reading experience - as well as being hard to use. None of this seems to be true in practice. Other negatives are lack of a replaceable battery and being locked into the Amazon ecosphere. Re the battery, I feel that by the time it becomes unchargable, I will be wanting the then newest wizbang ereader made by whomever, and the lockin, well, I'll just have to live with it.

But I'm really excited by this gift. I haven't been excited by a piece of electronics in quite a while. Of course, now I have to trick it out. I was thinking of a nice black skin from Decalgirl and a good cover to start with. I am looking hard at the M-edge Prodigy or the one from TrendyDigital (either one in red). That way I will have The Red and The Black...catchy.

I would love to hear opinions on these case picks and for any other cool mods. Meanwhile, I am going to buy some ebooks.
DiggerG is offline   Reply With Quote