View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
The big brother attitude about what I "really" want is what kept me boycotting Apple.

If they continue their attitude about crippled firmware, then hackers will fight back. It is a shame that B&N can't see that their policies are doing them no good. Possibly 1.5 will fix their problems, but I am not betting on it.
I agree with you about Apple. They definitely try to dictate what you want in a computer. A lot of their success is due to the fact that many consumers are not concerned with what happens at any layer except the use interface. They could care less what it is running as long as their functional requirements are met.

Now, B&N, on the other hand, appears to have a different goal. It seems to me that they are saying "We have a platform that can do many things. However, we would like to tailor that platform to do one thing very well: reading content delivery."

So, if you think of B&N as a sculptor and Android OS as a block of marble, B&N's mission is to chip away everything that does not look like an e-reader or contribute to the primary goal: reading content delivery.

I think they are succeeding and will continue to succeed with every new firmware revision they release. However, I do believe the software designers need to do a better job of managing the features they are to chip away and those they are to implement.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote