View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #34
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
• The overwhelming majority of consumers don't care about agency pricing.
• The overwhelming majority of consumers don't care who is publishing the book.
Well, no, but they do seem to care how much the books cost.

I swear that at least a fifth* of the threads over at the Amazon Discussion boards for Kindle are "Whyyyy are the prices so high? I can get the paperback cheaper!!!!!" and "This book is not worth $X.XX for an edition I can't pass on to my grandkids and I won't pay more than $Y.YY". Sometimes maliciously helpful posters clue them in as to cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Looking at the NYT ebook best sellers list, RH is fairly well represented. We'll see if going to agency pricing has an effect.

That said, I cannot imagine that they would switch (or will stay with the switch) if they were genuinely tromping the competition and raking in the bucks.
It'll certainly be interesting to see.

Personally, I hope they switch back. If only because I like being able to use $X off Y coupons for my e-book purchases and want other people who are actually affected by Agency pricing to be able to, too.

I have no problems with publishers setting their own prices, provided they do it consistently, at a reasonable cost for what the product is worth (taking into consideration its disadvantages relative to paper), and allow further discounts off the set price, even if they're guaranteed whatever minimum base royalty they've set for themselves.

Like Smashwords books on Kobo, which aren't given the usual % off in the listings, but which you can still use the promo coupons on during checkout.

* The other four-fifths are iPad/Nook-bashing, How Can I Use Library Books (You Can't), Daily Free Book Alert, Complaining About the Daily Free Books Which Happen to Be Christian Fiction or Erotic Romance, and Indie Author Ads.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote