View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #65
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
How about an Earthquake and Tsunami? Or massive sales in Japan and Asia, which are specifically attributed to the shortages.

http://sony.ereaderjournal.com/tag/ereader-sales/
I happen to have been watching Sony Readers' availability quite closely for years and years. So, let me tell you, the shortages have absolutely nothing to do with either earthquake or tsunami. Sony essentially stopped mass-shipping readers and covers in the midst of last year's X-mas season. The readers have been coming in somewhat sporadically, the stock of covers has never been replenished. Yes, you can still find a 350 or a 950 in Best Buy. They are being closed-out there. They have been closed-out in Borders (in fact, the 950 was never shipped to Borders stores, and both 350 and 650 were shipped only once, 650 not being available since winter). Taget? Walmart? Office Depot? Staples? You must be kidding me - none of these outlets ever had any stock of x50 readers to speak of. Some still sell 600 and 300, most have switched to kindle and nook. Even the staunchest online retailers, those who made the most money selling to the grey market resellers - Vanns, B&H, ABT - have long been listing the readers as discontinued.

The rumors about "Pearl display shortage" have been circulating since last fall, and they are patently untrue, judging by the mass market availability of kindles and now nooks.

Quote:
You don't seem to realize the Kobo sells a fraction of the Reader.
I don't have the sales numbers. Do you? I've seen people buying kobos at Borders. I happen to personally know a lot of people who own the Sony Readers, but kindles and nooks is what I see most often in public. In fact, kindle is quickly becoming synonymous with "ebook reader" in the U.S.

Quote:
Now, what "accountants at Sony" have decided this hit was a failure? Just because you've deemed it as such doesn't mean Sony did too.
I do not deem Sony Reader as a failure. Not from the engineering standpoint anyway. That is Sony who appears to have deemed the Reader as a failure, making it a scarce commodity in an important market.

Perhaps you could explain to me, where are the covers? Make something up that makes sense!
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote