View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #90
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
We just got the $199 version of the C7 this weekend, primarily for my wife to use as lightweight web browser so she could leave her main machine in her craft room.
I was quite surprised to see how limited ChromeOs really is: Can't print to my legacy network printer without CloudPrint, can't access local NAS shares without an HTML interface, not even sure if we can manage files on our Android smartphones via USB.
Still, my wife seems to like it, and we couldn't spend more on a laptop right now.
For myself, the first thing I did was install ChrUbuntu Linux on it. Took less than an hour including all the rebooting and downloading, so now that I know that works, I feel my $199 investment is protected. If we every get fed up with ChromOS, we can use Linux.
The only inconvenience in using both OSes is that the box has to be in developer mode to use Linux. In Dev mode, the boot time is greatly increased from the from the ~20 seconds it is normally, so that's less convenient for my wife.
If you switch it in or out of dev mode, you lose the local settings and data and have to reconfigure everything. Takes only a few minutes but it is an inconvenience.

So for right now, we're leaving it in normal ChromeOS mode, and I have the comfort of knowing Linux is there if a I want it.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote