View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #16
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetcop View Post
That's good reading! But it looks like the solution the two of you came up with was to boot into fastboot from diags mode, and diags mode isn't working for me. So I think I will try getting linux running in a virtual machine to run the fastboot tool, unless someone can get the PC fastboot tool working.

I wonder if things would change if I could charge it all the way. It only seems to want to charge when it's in "plug-me-in" mode - no matter what state it's in with a black screen, and whether wall-charger or computer charging, it always seems close to running out of batteries. Of course this would be easier to investigate if I had a way of querying the battery state - very hard to infer from the limited information given by its behaviour.
I compiled fastboot for linux, and that is what I use. I use MfgTool in WinXP in a VM, then use fastboot in the linux host PC (outside the VM). That way the kindle does not get unplugged. It should work fine the other way around too, with linux in the VM and windows on the outside.

I first charge a dead kindle on a wall charger for several hours, then use MfgTool to boot to fastboot mode, and charge it for several more hours, before attempting to flash the diags partition or boot to diags mode.

Fastboot mode contains good battery recharging code. The battery will drain while bricked or while in diags mode. It does not go into sleep mode in those cases, until the battery is discharged. You do not even get a "your kindle needs recharging" until you charge it enough so it CAN boot far enough from the main system partition to detect that it has a low battery.

Just leave it in fastboot mode while bricked, when not using it, and plugged into a wall charger. After debricking, you can rely on main bootmode to do the screensaver sleep thing...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote