View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This whole sequence is odd and needs to be explained in detail.

What/how is re-convert?
How do you save them to disk for backup?
How do you reload them?
What do you reload them to?
Why do you reload them?
Let me start here, and give some more basic info.

I have a lot of files, and it's not convenient for me to keep them stored in Calibre at all times. I have over 15,000 fanfic stories in epub format alone, let alone my Pro ebooks. Can't get them all into the Sony anyway even with an SD card, so I pick and chose what I'll put on the Sony at any one time.

I've found that having over 2,000 files in Calibre at any one time just makes things run slower. So I process the files in Calibre and load them onto my Sony, then 'Save to Disk' in what ever file folder they need to go into. Those are my 'base' files, and they get backed up every night to an external drive, backed up to a drive stored in my media safe once a month, and burned to DVD for permanent storage every time I think to do so. (I've been through enough had drive melt-down to be a bit paranoid. ; )

So I use Calibre to process the files and to load them onto the Sony. In between it sits empty.

Now, when I say 're-convert', I found out many, many versions ago that if I made a change in an epub files, say the title had 'teh' instead of 'the' (I'm a horrible speller and typist) that if I saved the file to disk the mistake would still be there unless I 'coverted' it from epub to epub before saving it to disk. Then the correction stayed. Don't know if that's necessary now, but it's an old habit from before that seemed to do the job.

So I'm trying to remove all the series info, because in the Sony it's lumping the series info into 'Collections'. I don't need to wade through over 900 listings in the collections folder because of the included series info. I can see the series info in my title. I just want to see included in the 'Collections' on the Sony the sort tags I use in the way I store *my* collections. (Murder, Horror, Erotica, Buddy, Scifi, Romance, SuperUrban, Fandomname-genre, ect. ect.) After loading the epubs I've processed before, and removing the Series info from that column, the collection number on my Sony went from over 900 to about 120. Much more managageable.

But now, when I remove the Series info, re-convert from epub to epub, then store the files to hard drive, empty Calibre out. Then later drag and drop them back in with the prefrence setting on 'Adding Books' to "Read metadata from file contents rather than file name" (because I do want to see my own covers and metadata) the old series names once again pop up.

The other thing I tried was to go into the plugins and Disable all the plugins under "Metadata Download Plugins" (since I don't want any metadata but my own anyway) and that didn't help.

So now I'm stuck. I don't know how to get ride of the Series info on the epubs for my permanent, storage copies.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote