View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Software & Utilities

Calibre Software
and the Calibre Forum on MobileRead (ebook management software created by a MR member, it also allows you to create your own newspapers for free from RSS feeds).

Kindlepedia
Quote:
Create your own Kindle-formatted articles from Wikipedia by inserting the URL from the page you want to format from Wikipedia and press the button. A link to the formatted article will appear; just click on it to download to your computer. Then drag the file into the documents folder on your Kindle using the USB cord.
In short, you enter the URL of any Wikipedia article (only the English version at present). After a few seconds, you get a link for downloading the article as a nicely formatted Mobi file, ready for you to transfer to your Kindle or open in any other Mobi-compatible reader.
I've found this especially useful for reading long articles at my leisure. I'm outside Whispernet range, so can't otherwise access Wikipedia on my Kindle. In the articles I've received so far, the formatting has been excellent.

Replying to another post made me realize I should be adding more Kindle related software links as I come across them. I've been saving them as bookmarks and have not tried most of them. Here it what I have currently. Not all are specific to the Kindle (BTW, this thread may be going to the wiki in the near future):

Adobe pdf2txt and pdf2htm online converter

Quote:
Adobe PDF Conversion by Email Attachment
If the Adobe PDF file is on local media, such as a hard drive, CD-ROM, or internal server, it can be submitted as a MIME attachment to an e-mail message. All converted Adobe PDF documents will be sent back to the sender as MIME attachments. For plain text, mail the attached PDF to pdf2txt@adobe.com. For HTML, mail the attached PDF to pdf2html@adobe.com.
Feedburner - You can use this online tool to create RSS feeds where none exist or more specialized feeds. You can then plug those feeds into Calibre for custom newspaper and blog "books".

eCub - a simple to use EPUB and MobiPocket ebook creator

Quote:
To summarize, this is what eCub does:

* Creates unencrypted EPUB files from text or XHTML files;
* Creates MobiPocket files if you have the mobigen application;
* allows editing of the text or XHTML files with a simple internal editor or designated external editors;
* helps you create a simple cover design image;
* optionally creates title, content and cover pages;
* can be run from the command line as part of a build script;
* can be used in portable mode (data and settings are stored locally);
* can convert your book content to audio files (WAV or MP3).

eCub does not do WYSIWYG or syntax-highlighted editing, and it currently only produces unencrypted EPUB and MobiPocket output. It's likely to be useful for simple projects, such as novels, where using an expensive tool such as Adobe's InDesign is overkill.

We're providing eCub free of charge, on Windows, Linux, Mac, FreeBSD and Solaris, for personal and commercial use. However, eCub is not an open source application.

PDFRead - You can read my exploits creating mobi books with PDFRead here.

PDFMYURL - Online tool for creating PDFs. I've read it can be used from the Kindle browser but I haven't tried it or seen an actual sample of it being done.

fb2pdf - I ran across this one today in a Teleread post. It is used to convert FictionBook Writer ebook to several formats including the Kindle. The site is in Russian but it's very easy to see how to use it. I'm not familiar with FB books but someone else might be.

Auto Kindle eBook Converter

Quote:
Lacking a fancy name and a fancy interface, and still in beta, Auto Kindle eBook Converter nevertheless quickly converts some of the most-used desktop formats to a Kindle-friendly MOBI for free.

Compatible with PDF, HTML, LIT, PDB, and CHM files, the program opens to a Windows file browser. Choose the file you want to convert, hit Open, and then choose your destination folder. The converter goes to work, generally converting files quickly--although this depends on the length of your document. When it's done, connect your Kindle to your computer and move the file into the Documents folder. Safely disconnect the Kindle, and the converted file will appear in your main list of documents, automatically converted on the Kindle to its default MPB format.
That's what I can find on my laptop for now. As I run across more I will post them and hope all of you reading will do the same.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote