View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: edge & edgejr
Fix browser crashes by updating android component

Note: The fix may be only relevant to EE Sr, although described approach may be useful for other fixes and general updates of both edges.

I've noticed in logs that frequent crashes of built-in browser always happened inside libwebcore.so So I decided to try replacing this library with latest version coming with Android sdk.

To test this I found a web page that will always crash EE browser on opening, here is this magic address:
http://www.michaels.com/Travel-Album...efault,pd.html
(Note, that for some reason, PE manages to open this page just fine.)

So after replacing original /system/lib/libwebcore.so (size 5011096) with the file from SDK (v.2.2, API8, release 3, file size 4485096), and restart the above page opens without problems. Additionally, stress test by frantic clicking on results of google image search (searched for Entourage edge) fail to induce crash - previously it would crash on 1st to 3 rd link.

I'd rather not give detailed instructions here for not to tempt anyone without needed knowledge into damaging their device. I hope that the fix would be included for general consumption into the next release of allmine.

For those comfortable with shell and having SDK installed (and thus who do not need any further instructions) here is one reference needed to obtain the library file from android-sdk-linux_x86/platforms/android-8/images/system.img: unyaffs.
vldmr is offline   Reply With Quote