View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #43
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerTez View Post
My view on this is that if nobody buys the DRM books (i.e. Adobe DE, Mobipocket, Amazon Kindle) and people only ever buy the eReader version then Sony, Amazon, Adobe, etc will just think there's no market and we'll be left with Fictionwise being the only site left with no hardware support for our 20 year old eBook readers.
Trust me, Sony, Amazon and the publishers will follow the money. After all, when Beta-Max failed, Sony didn't claim that there was no market for video tape players; they ultimately adopted the VHS standard like everyone else.

Besides, you can buy DRM free books for the Kindle and the Sony reader. The point here is to force them with our dollars to offer DRM free books, not to drive them out of business. In many cases, it is the publisher, not the vendor who demands DRM on their books.

In any case, we have several other vendors making ebook readers now and I suspect that the number will probably continue to grow in the near future. If Amazon and Sony dropped out, I think the volume of business that the iPod Touch seems to be generating for fictionwise would ensure that other book sellers got into the market.

Quote:

Still, I'm starting to get quite ranty on this thread so I'll shut up after this.

I am in the middle of writing a letter to Sony asking them to consider supporting the eReader format - but I don't have so much information on the eReader DRM. The following questions are for information, not to support or oppose any argument....

(1) The eReader DRM appears to be tied into your credit card number and your name so what happens when (a) you change your credit card company and (b) you get married? (Not you personally, unless Bill is short for Wilhelmena )
No problems here.. I am already married .

Having not bought any DRM'd books, I can only speculate. But based off of the information on the eReader and fictionwise website, it appears that the your name and credit card number essentially form a key that is used to encrypt and decrypt the ebook. Once you purchase a book using that key, that key will always unlock the book. So if you change your name (for any reason) or get a new credit card, it will change your key for future purchases, but for past ones. I am not sure how they handle it in software, but they might allow you to store more than one key; if so the book will then automatically be decrypted when you open it (At least, that is how I would implement it).

Quote:
(2) Taking (1) into account... if you buy some eReader eBooks and change your credit card or your name and then buy some more, how does your PC ask for the details. Is it authorised once (meaning you need to 'reauthorise' to switch back to reading your old books) or does it ask for the security details each time you read the book? Reading the details on the Adobe site it appears that the devices are authorised based on your Adobe account and the email address that it is tied into can be easily changed without having to reauthorise the devices or books.

Seeing as the answers to these questions are really to help me write a letter to Sony I don't mind if they're answered via PM by anyone who knows...

Cheers,
Terry.
I am afraid, I don't know the answer to those specific questions... maybe people who have read DRM content from ereader can answer that one?

Cheers.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote