View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #42
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
If you don't buy the DRM'd books, but rather buy books lacking DRM, then publishers that don't use DRM will expand and those who don't will be forced to change their bad habits to catch up.
My view on this is that if nobody buys the DRM books (i.e. Adobe DE, Mobipocket, Amazon Kindle) and people only ever buy the eReader version then Sony, Amazon, Adobe, etc will just think there's no market and we'll be left with Fictionwise being the only site left with no hardware support for our 20 year old eBook readers.

Still, I'm starting to get quite ranty on this thread so I'll shut up after this.

I am in the middle of writing a letter to Sony asking them to consider supporting the eReader format - but I don't have so much information on the eReader DRM. The following questions are for information, not to support or oppose any argument....

(1) The eReader DRM appears to be tied into your credit card number and your name so what happens when (a) you change your credit card company and (b) you get married? (Not you personally, unless Bill is short for Wilhelmena )

(2) Taking (1) into account... if you buy some eReader eBooks and change your credit card or your name and then buy some more, how does your PC ask for the details. Is it authorised once (meaning you need to 'reauthorise' to switch back to reading your old books) or does it ask for the security details each time you read the book? Reading the details on the Adobe site it appears that the devices are authorised based on your Adobe account and the email address that it is tied into can be easily changed without having to reauthorise the devices or books.

Seeing as the answers to these questions are really to help me write a letter to Sony I don't mind if they're answered via PM by anyone who knows...

Cheers,
Terry.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote