View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #41
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Terry,
Did it ever occur to you that Apple saw the light because of all the complaints?

Ultimately, publishers of ebooks will only be influenced by one thing, and that is customers who refuse to support DRM based product. If you don't buy the DRM'd books, but rather buy books lacking DRM, then publishers that don't use DRM will expand and those who don't will be forced to change their bad habits to catch up.

I personally don't support individuals removing DRM from books; in part because it is illegal in some countries, but mostly because it sends a message to publishers that the public is willing to accept DRM on their books. If you feel you need to buy titles that are DRM'd, then as always, I strongly suggest buying books in the eReader format. Its DRM does not limit the devices you use except for the the fact that no current dedicated readers or Linux Distros are supported (Are you listening Fictionwise?).

Ultimately, I could care less about support from any large corporation. Whether I use Linux, Windows, OS-X or some more obscure OS, their support can always be ended. Large corporations can and do fail, and even more frequently they do end support for products. If Sony decided to get out of the ebook business, an awful lot of people could end up with books that will not be transferable to other devices.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote