View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #40
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerTez View Post
At the moment I can download Adobe EPUB files that I've purchased from Waterstones (and Secure PDF files from Fictionwise) and put them on my PC, my wife's PC, my PRS-505 and on my wife's PRS-505. No problems with that at all.
If this Christmas you'll want a brand new Linux PC for you and your wife, and and a couple of iRex DR1000, you'll have to repay for every book, event if you didn't read them.

Still no problems?
You've quoted me slightly out of context as I go on to stress (in italics) that I'm talking about my personal circumstances. Personally, although I am a VERY technical person, I wouldn't buy a Linux computer - but if I did I wouldn't expect any support from commercial companies like Sony or even Apple. They are all about mass market support and distribution and with about 2% of the desktop market being Linux and over 90% being Microsoft I honestly wouldn't expect them to make much of an effort. This would obviously annoy me if I was a Linux user but I'm deliberately NOT a Linux user by choice (I dual-booted an ubuntu Linux distro last year and tried to use it as my main OS but it still isn't accessible enough for me - not even with my years of using command lines in DOS, Unix, VMS and my accumulated years of using various Windows, Amiga, and Apple PCs too.

To get back to my point - Adobe are currently working on fixing the 1 bug that I think exists in their DRM, the inability to remove authorisation from a device and reassign it to another. Being able to have my eBooks on up to 6 devices is plenty enough for me!

Before the 'digital age' we had to buy a book and read it, then we could pass it on to someone else. Now I can authorise my wife's reader and my own and we can both read it at the same time. It's the same with MP3s, when I had to buy a CD I could only listen to it on whichever device it was playing but with iTunes files (and other formats) I can play them on any device with a minimum of fuss/conversion so I'm not breaking the law when I have it on my home PC, my work laptop, my iPod, and in the car on a CD-R.

I'm not trying to say DRM is good, I guess what I'm trying to say is... stop wingeing! Things are better than they could be and I'm sure I'm not being too unrealistic when I say it'll only improve because all the companies that make eBook readers will see sense eventually. After all, iTunes introduced iTunes Plus because they saw there was a market for better quality download files which could be converted directly to DRM-free MP3 within iTunes itself (no need to burn). If Apple can see sense then why not Sony, Amazon, and the rest?

Cheers,
Terry.

Last edited by GingerTez; 10-15-2008 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Clarity
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote