View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
fbdev
fbdev
fbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel is

Device: kindle
i try to avoid modifying the root file system.

0) i am of the opinion that when i boot my kindle it ought to work; making changes to the root file system is the best way to make it do otherwise. =]

1) there are heavy space constraints on the root file system.
iirc, vanilla it has about 150 mb free.

2) if you want an exe in your path, use a symlink.

3) if you want a userspace folder in your path, modify /etc/profile.

in short, there isn't any really good reason to modify the root filesystem for drop-in executables and the first rule of *nix administration is to minimize the use of privileged operations. qed, i don't modify the root filesystem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryran View Post
I figured I would eventually... I always share my scripts. I've been tweaking them heavily every other day though.

Did you tell people to put your apps in /mnt/us/system just for simplicity? I run kaffeine & kinamp & fbout so much that it made the code so much cleaner-looking to get them in my path. Is there a reason you know of why I shouldn't add things to /usr/bin? I haven't had any probs yet, but I haven't taken the time to snoop everywhere yet.
fbdev is offline   Reply With Quote