View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfytheige View Post
We both like similar books would we be able to both read each others books on our ereaders or can books purchased by me only be read on my ereader? Not a huge issue if you can't but may be nice as we already share books.
If the books have protection (DRM) then they'll only work if the readers are registered to the same account - that's fine for partners but as a reader can only be registered to one account at a time, less useful for friends trying to share. On the other hand, some sellers don't use DRM, while the third option is to remove it, which is sometimes possible.
Quote:
If you can share books am I right in thinking I would have to get a sony too to do that (I prefer the look of the Kindle).
Well, not a Sony specifically, but a reader that reads ePub format books - many do, but the Kindle isn't one of them and it's not trivial to convert from one format to another.
Quote:
Can I only read books bought on amazon on a kindle or can I buy them elsewhere. I get the impression it is only amazon bought books its good for but then it lists lots of other formats on the site (sorry I'm not sure what all the formats/letters mean am still trying to work all that out)
The big players are pretty much Amazon/Kindle vs everyone else/ePub

Quote:
Is the kindle easy to use. It seems to be fairly straight forward from the clips online but I can't actually go and have a go with one to see. The only ereader I have seen is my friends sony (pocket sized one) and I can't go and have a play with any other makes as they don't seem to be really stocked in shops round here
They're all pretty easy to use - The Kindle does have the advantage of Amazon's return facility and the ease of wireless connection, but it's no big deal to plug in the USB cable periodically (weekly?) when you want to load new books.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote