View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I have a question - I am thinking seriously of buying a Color Nook. Is there ANY advantage to waiting till after the update - i.e. would getting the device with the new firmware on it be any advantage over getting one now and then updating it when the firmware is released? I cannot think of any, and I know that my classic Nook's update went smoothly, but I am just wondering what others think.
It is not hard to update manually - the only time I had a problem was when B&N had a corrupt file on their web server due to a glitch - so not a problem with the device itself.

In terms of buying now, the bigger issues are:

- Will the price go down later ? Will the price go up later (not impossible, considering that B&N may feel that a tablet is worth more $$ than an ereader, so adding the above tablet capabilities means "you get more", hence a price raise, and considering that no tablet that is remotely as good is less than $400) ?

- What other product might be released soon ?

- Will I get good use out of the product between now and then ?

The two ends of the spectrum are those who buy things they don't really need, and thus are always overpaying, and those who never have anything, because they are always waiting for the great thing around the corner...
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote