Thread: free 3g hack?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
elimist
elimist began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This would be in violation of your Kindle license agreement that you agree to when you start using your kindle.

Also, I think you have it backward... the hack was to get Internet connection from a PC via the USB port without using the Kindle 3G radio.

(or maybe I just haven't heard about the hack you are talking about. However, the international Kindle already has a GSM phone in it.)

BOb
I am talking anout this hack :
http://ikindle3gs.eu/
This guy says :

Quote:
Step 6:

    Replace the CDMA/EVDO modem with the UMTS/HSPA modem. Put it in the same angle you have removed the EVDO modem. When it is fully in, push it down on the side with the screws/antenna. It will NOT snap or anything. You have to screw it thight. Now we have an UMTS/HSPA modem in. Note that the antenna connectors on the Dell 5530 are in reverse, make sure to connect the antenna to the "main" output.
He also says :

Quote:
Things I've learned:

   The EVDO modem might work in a PC, if someone finds drivers for it ( 1410:8000 USB VID:PID ) (The Kindle itself most obviously has Linux drivers for it. I don't use that OS on my laptop.). Though it would not make any sense for me, I live in Europe and right now have no plans to visit the States. ( "Built in free internet everywhere" would be really nice with one of those small netbooks. Most of them have an empty mini-PCIe port.)
Oh and does anyone know of a way to extract the drivers for this from the kindle?