View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Device: none
Project Gutenberg DRM'd ebook..?

I'm currently reading David Hume's History of England. There are six epub's that I downloaded from Project Gutenberg when I was building my personal library.

Last night, I was checking something in my Kobo Glo's Library->Books display and I noticed that alongside with the version I am reading, I had also uploaded to the device a copy of all six volumes in a single epub. I thought I'd take a look and compare the contents and much to my surprise.. as soon as I tried to access the epub I was greeted with an "Oops! This document couldn't be opened... This document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized.. bla bla bla..." popup on the Kobo Glo..!

Now, this rather came as a surprise since I do not "own" any DRM'd stuff, books or otherwise..!

Well, I fired up Calibre and checked my original download.. Sure enough, I got this epub from Project Gutenberg...! So, I tried to open it with Calibre's built-in viewer and it did take an unusual 30 seconds or so to open, but I was able to access it.

The only potential problem with this epub is that it is quite large -- Mr Hume's history adds up to c. 4,000 pages and there are a number of jpeg's as well. All in all the epub weighs in at a whopping 17.3 MB..

I was able to unzip the epub and browse its contents, so I very much doubt DRM is the issue here..!

Is this a bug with the Kobo viewer software failing to open the epub (not enough RAM, perhaps) and misdiagnosing the cause of the failure..?

Has anybody else run into this problem and possibly found a fix or workaround..?

Oh, in case that matters to anybody, the Kobo's software version is 2.6.1 and was last updated 3 months ago.

Thanks,

CJ
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote