View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Giving up the ghost: Paperwhite alternatives thread

(I know at least one person is going to reply and say that I'm wrong to consider alternatives. I won't be responding, but thanks in advance for the input.)

So, it seems that several of us have already gone through several unacceptable Paperwhite units, particularly those of us with 'color blobs'. I've seen some musings about what to do instead, usually involving going back to an older model. I'm curious about what you all specifically plan to do and if anyone has any suggestions.

I don't have much experience with Kindle devices except a year of trouble-free use of my Kindle Keyboard, with a mildly annoying Kandle clip-on light (annoying in its tendency to slip off, and battery usage, not because I minded the lighting). My instinct now is to return my (second) Paperwhite, go back to my KK, and get one of the cases with built-in lighting. I see those too have some issues with the contacts, but I'd love to hear feedback from you guys.

I've tried the Mighty Brite gooseneck-style light, and I found it way too heavy and unwieldy (mine took three batteries, so that didn't help with the weight. maybe there is a better one?).

Are there other good external light solutions?

Is there a specific reason I should consider going to a 4th-gen device instead of my Kindle Keyboard, if I don't have a problem with the display quality?

A sort of secondary idea is waiting for the Kobo Glo to become available in the U.S., but information on when that might be is sketchy, and it seems to have firmware issues from what little I've read. I suppose I'd also consider the Nook glowlight, if it doesn't have color blobs.

Thanks in advance.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote