View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #15
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tponzo View Post
SPOILER ALERT - yes, I agree about Cecil but he actually comes off better when Lucy dumps him. She seems petulant and immature and he responds with dignity and grace.

I actually find Lucy pretty immature through a lot of the story. She strikes me as being only about 16 or 17. Honestly the women in this story as a whole seem kind of immature. I wonder if that is a comment on the way Victorian Society stiffled growth in women or if Forrester just didn't like 'em all that much.
Just a comment: Forster - and the age of the society the story takes place in - isn't victorian, but edwardian. We're right before WW1 and the social climate had changed somewhat by then since the victorian time.

I think Lucy can't be more than 20 at most, but still she is rather immature in general. I don't think it's so much that Forster didn't like women - which he did, there's no reason to believe otherwise - but his father died shortly after he was born, and a great part of his early life was dominated by the women in his home and family and he had a very close relationship with his mother. My interpretation is that he is simply using what has observed and know. The society he describes, from Mr. Emerson Senior to Cecil Vyse, reflects his own background after all.

Last edited by Ea; 02-24-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: I was imprecise
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote