View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #96
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshot View Post
My original point was that there should be some way to separate the person who writes for a living from those that write as a 'hobby'.

Another analogy, if the singer one did not work to well, could be a 'Footballer' and someone who plays football for fun.

I decorated my house but I am not a decorator. Whether I made a professional job of it or a pigs ear of it is not relevant.

I think most people who have commented here understand what I am getting at, but they don't agree, fair enough, but they are debating the use of the word author rather than the meaning of what I am getting at.

If anyone can put words on paper and call themselves an author in the literal sense then maybe those that make a living from it should have the higher title of 'writer' or Professional author.

Most professions have a training period and a learning curve and so it should be with anyone who puts pen to paper and then uploaded it to Amazon and uses the word author in the given sense.
You're talking about what British law calls "protected occupations". In the UK you're not allowed to call yourself an architect, engineer, lawyer, or doctor, unless you hold the appropriate professional qualifications for the job.

I'm afraid "author" is not a protected occupation, and is never likely to be one, like it or not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote