Thread: Touch .kepub.epub
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
This is something I haven't seen mentioned before...

Apparently, if an ePub on the Touch is renamed to the "double extension" of ".kepub.epub" it will treated as a kepub instead of an epub. This means that the book will be opened using the kepub reader. That will give you the page per chapter that some people like.

The next question of course is how to get the files onto the device like this. If you use calibre, it does not support this. But, you could change your save template to add ".kepub" to the end of the name. I just tried with:

Code:
{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}.kepub
This affects all files, so if you want some to be treated as kepubs and some not, then you need something else. The template could use some metadata in the library to decide whether to put the ".kepub" in or not.

With my brief testing, it works but the Touch did not generate covers for the books I tried.

This came from a bug reported against the driver in calibre. The request there is to not lose the .kepub for Japanese books that come with that in the first place.

As I said, I haven't seen this mentioned before. But, I am sure someone will point to the thread about it in the next couple of minutes
This is not a supported method of reading ePUBs. While it may render correctly the software may not interact with the book in the correct way since kepub.epub books come from the Kobo servers.
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote