View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #74
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Basically my feelings.

But you are an author as well. What are your thoughts on giving the licensee the abilty to read or reread any book purchased for the life of the licensee.
Seems reasonable to me.

Helen
If you bought the book, I don't have a problem with you reading it as many times as you want and certainly for your lifetime. I don't even have a problem with you giving your ebooks to one of your kids. The thing is--should you give it to all 3 or 5 of your kids? And do they know they shouldn't make 10 copies for their friends? All this is now possible. The whole meaning of ownership has changed. Books are worth less and can be copied instantly. Does the test have to be "only if I could do this with a paperback book?" Because in that case you could only give it to one child. Or one spouse. My idea of "within reason" could change from one device/invention to the next.

Some of it is expectations. Our generation, more used to paper books, has a certain set of expectations. That won't be true for our children and certainly not their children. So from where I stand, it is also okay for an epub or ebook to "wear out" and not be useable on a device 20 years from now. But as a writer, I might have to do some work to make it useable on whatever device IS available 20 years from now.

If you or your kid still owned a Kindle and it happened to WORK 20 years from now and the books were still on there, I'd have no problem with that person (whoever has possession of said device and books) reading it.

There has to be a middle of the road that is reasonable. And that middle might be a constantly changing thing.

I still believe that standardizing on the format would be a good thing for all of us--authors and readers.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote