View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #72
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I usually buy them.

Yes.

Because I paid for them, silly.

I like buying/owning books. I also like to think purchasing them is a more direct form of encouragement for the authors I enjoy reading to write more books than borrowing might be. I like stimulating the authorial economy by buying the products of those creators I've come to appreciate.

My turn. To those that love to re-read and who can't comprehend the fact that others might not: why would you think the economics of buying vs borrowing is relevant?
I can comprehend it; I just think it's weird.

If I didn't think a book was potentially valuable enough for me to want to reread someday, but I felt I had to read it for some reason anyway, I would borrow it from the library. That's why I wonder what the point of ownership is if you never reread.

I don't care one whit about supporting the author. It never enters my head. I buy a book because I want the book, not because of how my purchase affects the author's livelihood or any other aspect of the economy.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote