View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #68
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm curious. A question for those who never re-read: do you also never listen to a piece of music more than once? If you do, what's the difference with a book?
I don't re-read, just like I don't re-watch movies [ then again, I seldom watch them for the first time. :-) ]. I see books and movies as more similar for this comparison. There is a plot and suspense. Once you know the outcome the thing that keeps me turning pages (or, in the case of movies, sitting in rapt attention [or maybe it's more of a mindless stupor]) is gone.

Music is different. An opera I'll watch more than once because different actors and singers put a different twist on it. A symphony I'll listen to more than once because each orchestra and conductor puts its own emphasis in the music. The suspense is a much smaller part of the experience. While suspense does exist (if you know how to listen to such music), it is no longer the primary element. Rock, Blues, Pop, etc, don't have that element of suspense at all, so, again, there's nothing to lose by having heard it before.

Edit: As for sharing with my children, etc... just like I would have turned in the paper book to the used bookstore to reduce clutter, I don't care if the electronic version disappears. I only buy them if they're at a price that I consider fair for short term single use rental. I keep a lot of books on my ereaderiq watch list and have caught enough in daily deals, etc, to keep me reading for a long time.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-09-2012 at 03:42 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote