View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I'm willing to go out on a limb and say, yes, having an e-reader HAS changed my life. I have re-discovered my love of reading fiction, something I lost somewhere along the line after out-growing teenagerness. I have flirted with fiction since ... Erle Stanley Gardner and the Man from UNCLE tv series as books (don't ask) ... but my book shelves are mainly lined with music books, or philosophy, or plays or film criticism.

I love reading some of the classics -- they are classics for a reason: they stand the test of time, perhaps with some universal message, perhaps because they evoke a specific time and place so well. But I also love books, less easily identified as "classics" that nonetheless evoke their era: pulp fiction, like "real" jazz, is locked to its time and place and wallowing in it makes it just more fun to be in the present -- talk about pure escape! And some present day works, too: Ian Rankin, Elizabeth George, Louise Penny or the late Robert B Parker ... in their way as delightful as Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett, Lillian Hellman or Tennessee Williams.

Owning the e-reader has encouraged me to explore fiction again, from across the past 15 decades or so, and I am reading now about 1 book a week -- which is possibly 35 more books of fiction than I had read this decade before the e-reader, putting Erle Stanley Gardner to one side. This re-opened door is unlikely to close anytime soon and for that I am grateful, and a more enriched person, co-worker and spouse.

Yes, the e-reader for me has been a "life changer".
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote