View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #33
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What a dreadful concept, that a book should be judged by its length. Quality, not quantity, is what counts.
Harry, I'm not certain that the argument is about quality vs. quantity as much as it is about how fast one melds with the author's prose and characters and what one wants to get out of a reading experience.

I don't like to read short stories. It has nothing to do with their quality; rather it has to do with the effort I need to put in to become in tune with the plot and the characters and whether when done I find myself unsatisfied because of the shortened development -- even though the development is more than adequate for the particular story. (I hope I'm being clear.) I want to grow with the characters so that when they hurt I hurt, when they laugh I laugh, etc. This takes a long time, at least for me.

Another genre I do not enjoy is poetry (with some exception). Yet poetry is really the epitome of the short story.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote