View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #36
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
The prevailing opinion seems to be that alcohol is a part of society, and society won't significantly change, so alcohol will always be a part of it.

Once upon a time, sitting around the campfire and grunting about the day's hunt was a constant of society. So were celebrations of the Solstices.

Society does change over time... though it always seems to be almost impossible for most in the present to be able to imagine and fully appreciate those changes. And I can easily imagine a society in which humans do not have a desire, or a need, to "get a high" from any substance... not to mention an ability to create "synthehol"-type products at will, taking the "high" out of alcohol.
That's all true.

But the fact remains for now that with all the vast societal changes, alcohol has remained a part of most cultures for thousands of years. Not to mention various types of smoking, chewing and drugs etc. that generate some buzz/high.

It seems a need for getting high has been a constant throughout human history. So while I can imagine a future where that's not the case, I don't think it's very likely.

Reality bites. Always has, always will. Some people will always need a method of escape.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote