View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #60
JonB
JonB doesn't litterJonB doesn't litter

Device: Sony PR-505
I haven't read the entire thread, but here are my thoughts.

I had a PRS-505 and I loved it for ages, but once I saw the new Pearl screen on the K3, that was it. I bought it last weekend and have not looked back. I was waiting for colour eInk displays before ditching the 505 but I read that they are still some way off. So be it. The K3 is a brilliant reader and cheap with it. I transferred all my (non DRM) content easily onto it via Calibre which I recommend heartily.

I did think the keyboards on the Kindle devices look clunky and unnecessary (who's going to annotate a thriller?) but it doesn't get in the way at all. A keyboard is a better option than a touchscreen as it doesn't get between your eyes and the eInk display. I was very disappointed by Sony's touchscreens, they seem to rob the display of a lot of contrast. I also thought that the K3 page turn buttons would get triggered accidentally too often. Well, they do get triggered accidentally, but not that often so I can live with them.

Then there is the availability of eBooks on the bookstores; I read that Amazon's store is the best and it also enjoys the most competitive prices. [Edit : seems Sony is fighting back on that front.. I'll take the advice above and check out inkmesh.com next time I'm buying.]

So, for me at least, the Kindle was a pretty compelling proposition. And did I say, it has a much, much better screen than the PRS-505 (plus it is faster, has more fonts / sizing options, and it's lighter and easier on the hand).

My PRS-505 is on eBay now...

Last edited by JonB; 02-02-2011 at 03:11 PM.
JonB is offline   Reply With Quote