Thread: MobileRead November Book Club Vote
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Barring a last minute miracle, it looks like it will be the Dumas! When I voted for it I didn't expect it to win. Even though it's a more well-known title which usually seems to bring in votes, it's also really long.

It's one of those (many) books though that I did want to eventually read in my lifetime and glad to have the little push to do it now rather than later. I've never read it, never seen a film of it nor do I know any details of the story save for the general plot description, so I'll be going into it "fresh" and looking forward to it.

This was really a fantastic month for nominations all around. Though the nominations couldn't originally have been written in English, they could've all ended up the from the same few countries or languages, but if I'm counting correctly then there are at least eight different countries and languages represented in the ten nominations this month, which is wonderful.

I also just like the nominations this month. I'd have been up for reading nine out of ten of them and had to pick some not to vote for because I had checked so many at first. The only one I wasn't interested in, Night Watch, I had seen the Russian film of, and though it was an interesting film, I wasn't sure if the story would be enough for me to read the book while already knowing what happens.

The length of the Dumas seems daunting, but I've heard it reads quickly. I need to hurry and finish The Secret River so I can get started on this. I've been finishing many book club selections rather late in the game and was on the verge of catching up for now so I hope I can keep up with this one.

For those who are interested in a complete, unabridged translation, there is a Penguin version. From checking around the last few days, I've noticed some others claim to be unabridged but really aren't, but it seems the Penguin translation by Robin Buss is the real deal.

The version here at MobileRead had been originally edited, as Harry notes on the posting page for it. It is claimed by some to unabridged but was still edited for content, cutting out some of the more risqué parts. If I'm not mistaken (and I haven't thoroughly investigated, so I could be) it seems like the version here at MobileRead was the most complete version in English until the Penguin Buss version. Harry, the uploader of the MR version, actually recommends the still copyrighted Buss translation if one wants the completely unabridged version. Though I'd love to read the free and surely impeccably proofread version here, I'm opting for the completely unabridged Penguin version. At the moment it's $6.60 Kindle US and £4.41 Kindle UK. Here are some links for it if anyone else is interested:

Kindle US
Kindle UK
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote