View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #301
joolzt
joolzt began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Hope I'm in the right place, I posted a bug fix for the duplicate finder plug-in but in the wrong place (on the Calibre support site) and the 'plug in forum thread' link from user plug-ins didn't bring me here so I did a manual forum search.

Please redirect me if I'm still in the wrong place :-( Otherwise I hope someone can help. Here's my post:

Great tool, saved me a lot of time, but two points:

1 - The binary check is not quite 100%

I don't think it's safe to have a checkbox for 'automatically remove duplicates' as you could be deleting books that aren't duplicate. The plug-in selects different books as 'duplicates' about 0.1 percent or less times, but I don't want to delete any books that are not genuine duplicates so I use this to identify possible dupes but still save books to disc and use WhereIsIt! to dedupe them as it lets you include a check on file name as well as CRC. I think your plug in info says you guarantee duplicates are found, you should change the wording so people know.

Suggestion: If your 'automatically delete' function was set to automatically delete only if the book title or author are the same' then that would probably reduce the chance of errors to an infinitesmal amount and I would use it to auto delete. You can easily do a manual review of the 'duplicates' that weren't auto deleted automatically and fix book name/author errors then run the tool again.

2 - Bug in 'clear duplicate results'

I've used your tool several times and it found loads of duplicates, cleared the results ok then did another search. Unfortunately the 'clear duplicate results' doesn't seem to work any more so I can't use Calibre normally now. I cleared the duplicate results but when I click on an author or series I see every single book in the window and not just the author. If I do an author search via the command line I get the same thing.

Attempts to fix: I shut down/restarted Calibre, updated the plug in, updated Calibre, but still the same. There must be something in the background settings that still thinks I want duplicates found. Reluctant to completely uninstall and reinstall Calibre and hope it won't come to this. Just tried to disable the plugin in 'user plugins' to see if that would clear it and put Calibre back to normal but says it can't be disabled :-(

Using Windows Vista. Calibre 8.62. I can provide screen caps etc.

Hope you can fix as this plug-in is a great idea.
joolzt is offline   Reply With Quote