View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
Considering that sites like Smashwords have dozens of new books posted every day (hour?), it becomes more than a little difficult to sift through the slurry of what is good and what is not. Oddly, I saw a short story, a very very short story (under 2000 words) up there recently for 2 dollars, which seems a bit silly to me.

It's also not just the offering for free bit. I had my novel listed for about a month at, "Pay what you want, including nothing." I received about 75 or so downloads in that time, most of which were at no cost. I decided to make it entirely free last week, and now I have almost 700. The difference between the two is that, with the "pay what you want," you have to set up an account to download it. With it free, you don't need one; that just eliminates an entire step in the process of loading up the e-reader.

In the end, it's about having a name and a reputation. Although I think it's not a bad idea to put a short story or two up, either, just to have a little more for people to see.
For me the free samples available at Smashwords and Kindle are plenty. But it seems that for some the internet is seen as a place to get free stuff.
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote