View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
iPad + Recipes: New optimizations in 0.7.5

Here's a sneak preview of how 0.7.5 uses special periodical formatting for iPad.

If you download recipes with Preferences|General|Preferred output format set to EPUB, and Preferences|Conversion|Page Setup|Output profile set to iPad, calibre will do some special formatting for the touchscreen.

Section Index
The section index of a downloaded recipe is shown below on the left page, with each section title a clickable link. The right page shows the first section, with each article title a clickable link.

Section navigation
Each section has a navbar providing navigation to the previous section, the section index, and the next section.

Article Navigation
Each article has a navbar providing navigation to the previous article, the article list for this section, the section index, and the next article.

Cover
If the recipe specifies a cover, it is shown in the iBooks Table of Contents. You can also see the cover by dragging the slider at the bottom of the screen to page 1.

Some people will ask "why bother downloading periodical content when you can simply read it online or use Instapaper?"

My preference is to have the entire periodical available offline. That allows me to read it at my leisure or in conditions where connectivity is not available. Instapaper is great when you come across a site you want to read later, but with periodicals I prefer the serendipity of paging through the content, deciding what I want to read as I go. Also, I like having access to the iBooks dictionary while I'm reading the news.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 06-30-2010 at 11:21 AM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote