View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #25
mutant_matt
Enthusiast
mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Touch
A couple of thoughts:

1. I have a Glo. It came with 2.1.4 firmware which from a factory reset, asks for Language, then connect/setup via Computer or WiFi. You cannot skip this step, and it won't get past this, unless you register it.

2. You can add an entry to the internal SQLite database when connected to the computer, to fake the registration, and get a working, "registered", blank/ready to go Glo. (at this point, I would take a backup of the newly registered SQLite DB, and also install 2.1.5 firmware (latest at this point)).

You have to do this after any factory reset. I presume it is possilbe, if you are willing to take the internal micro-SD card out, to mount the backup/restore partition, and replace the default SQLite DB file in there, with your own (I'm thinking a copy of yours, just after you first registered it). That would solve the re-reset problem on the road, though you'd still have no books, unless you had a micro-SD card with books on it, with you.

I think, if I was going on holiday etc., I'd have my Netbook with me, and a good collection of the books I wanted to read that were on the Glo, also stored on the Netbook as well (and I'd probaly take a spare micro-SD card with me too). That way, I could easily recover from most things the unit was likely to throw at me. If I am away, and driving, I already do this, for my SatNav (i.e. have the software, maps, routes and a spare micro-SD card). Hell, I even have a spare SD card and battery for my camera too. Computing devices just are not reliable enough to treat like their "old world" equivalents (I backup my camera photos whilst on holiday, to my Netbook (and a spare 2.5" USB hard drive, also (call me paranoid ))

HTH

Matt

Last edited by mutant_matt; 11-16-2012 at 10:28 AM.
mutant_matt is offline   Reply With Quote