View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
Baen was truly ahead of its time... well, ahead of other publishers, anyway! The bit about cross-promoting other books in the series, plus similar books, is a natural way to advertise other material and generate more buzz and sales for your books.

So my next question is: Who knew about this? I know it's the first I've heard about it! How successful was it for Baen? And whose job was it to get the word out to everyone else? (Okay, three questions.)
Well the flippant answer is "anyone who looked at the book cover" -- it's printed on the dust jacket.

The more considered answer is probably anyone who already read their books, or happened to be in a position to run across the information -- not much more useful

As to their success, they're still doing it, so they can't be losing their shirts at it. Of course they were already established with a reasonable following, so that obviously would be a factor.

They also sell individual titles (mostly in the $4~$6 range) and Advanced Reader Copy bundles, that come in monthly installments leading up to the release date (so that you have the whole of each title the month before release -- 5 titles for $15, not too shabby).

Here's the link to their sales site, for anyone interested in a closer look: http://webscriptions.net/
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote