View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #20
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
See, I've never had that problem. I had some MP3s on my SD card that I had in my old phone, and when I popped it in my Android phone, the music player found them without any problems.

That is one of the problems with Android. Too many companies come out with custom versions of stock apps, and custom user interfaces, and many of them suck. Fragmentation also makes it trickier, because what applies to one phone may not on another. I can't just say, "do this" on your phone if it has different stuff loaded on by the maker or carrier.

As far as malware, that really isn't an issue on android. So far, only malware is stuff that you have to be blind or braindead. Basically all that has been out so far, is a few apps in the market that access and do things they really shouldn't. However, it is the fault of the phone owner at that point. All Android apps show their needed permissions when you install them. If you see that an app for reading ebooks needs full read and write access to your contact, ability to monitor phone calls, GPS access, and internet access, shouldn't you find that strange and not install it? Also, you could really do the same sort of thing with the iPhone. Apple's testing and approval is constantly letting stuff slide past that they'd ordinarily reject.

iPhone 4 does sell unlocked and without contract, but starting at $649

Believe me, I don't want to start an Apple/Android flame war. i actually liked my Android smartphone at first. I enjoyed playing around widgets, configuring my home screens, and testing out task managers. I even found some sweet apps. The thing that drove me up the wall is that the battery life SUCKED. What's the best cell phone? a LIVE cellphone. I learned that when I would unplug the power cord at 800 am and by three the phone was done or near-done. Well, I did the Android fan thing.

I trawled the forums.
I tried various power management schemes.
I configured settings.
I installed helper apps.

Nothing worked. Eventually, I said, "F*************K!! I didn't buy a smartphone to become a power management geek." I bought several power cords and just made sure I had one at home, work, in the car-everywhere I went. Eventually, my smartphone broke and I am using a cheap dumb phone right now that's rocking two days between plugins. I may never buy another smartphone again.
I can't speak for the iPhone but I do know that the iPad's power management is excellent.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote