View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #47
customelectronic
customelectronic began at the beginning.

Device: PRS900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaphiosis View Post
Something I'm not getting from this discussion is whether you've actually managed to flash the alternative (russified) firmware, or any firmware, to the reader. That means firing up windows, unpacking porkupan's package while the reader is plugged in, running flash_reader.bat, waiting for everything to finish, "safely ejecting" the reader, disconnecting the reader, hitting the reset pin on the reader, turning it on again, then once it's up going to the "about" page to see if you've succeeded.
I don't have dos/windows so I read the flash_reader.bat and did each of the lines manually using Linux. (It would have been nice to have a linux shell script to do it...) But after following the instructions in the .bat file by hand (step by step), and installing the files in the Sony reader's internal memory under a directory I make called /test, I unmount it (eject equivalent), unplug it from USB -- and from that point I have tried every combination of resetting it with a paperclip (1st attempt) turning it on again, (I never did try the "About" page), turning it on again without hard reset, resetting it from the diagnostic manual -- and on the off chance that I copied the files to the wrong place I duplicated all files in all directories. tried all combinations of possible resets, startups, again....

(I just tried the "About" page this time -- nothing...., except that it is *unauthorized* now -- which is better than when I started since it was locked up with someone else's authorization -- and resets didn't get rid of it. So, that's a new message I am seeing -- but it doesn't help.)

Quote:
Have you done that? I'm pretty sure that if you've done that, you can do the arbitrary code execution when inserting an ordinary sd card with "/Sony Reader/software/autorun.xml" on it while pressing VOL+ and OPTION. You can recognise this fact by an appearance of porkupan's menu instead of the normal diagnostic menu.
And that is exactly what I don't get when I go to the diagnostics menu by creating that directory and file; and then inserting the card into the reader while pressing vol+ home at the same time. I get the normal diagnostics no matter what combination of resets, file installs, file permissions, version of flasher, etc. I try.

I didn't use "option" for most of these tests, because I understood the instructions to require booting diagnostics before doing that .... I'll try that before opening diagnostics. If it is something that simple ....

Quote:
Sorry to be so direct, but I still want to help and yet I'm somehow confused by the above exchange and can't figure out if you've done this, or if you're just placing porkupan's package into /test on the reader or SD card and trying some other tricks...
No offense taken!
I'd rather be embarrassed than frustrated, really!
It would be NICE to have done something wrong for once -- I'm used to doing it right and having wrong hardware. It took me over a week to make a hackintosh because my hardware was slightly incompatible.... lost a bit of money on that, because my mac died and I needed a replacement up pronto; but I eventually modified the hack to work ... that was big time frustrating! just rotten luck.

Quote:
As for loaded modules, on the 600 at least:
Code:
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
evdev                  10496  0
g_file_storage         50692  0
arcotg_udc             31692  1 g_file_storage
msdrv                1648212  2
Thank you very much! That will be quite helpful as a reference in interpreting the kernel source I have been looking at. I'll answer your next post after I try the option vol+ approach before diagnostics mode.
customelectronic is offline   Reply With Quote