Old 04-06-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Adobe Digital Editions DRM a reason to use Astak Firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
... Some of you have tried Jinke and other Firmware Upgrades. I would recommend using the Astak version as IF problems do develop down the road with your device... at least we know there is no conflict with the FI. KEEP your Astak Device ALL Astak!!

Thank you for waiting!!
Given that our hallowed and beloved EZReader Pocket Pro, Jinke Hanlin v5, Papyre 5.1, LBook V5, and BeBook Mini are all the exact same device rebranded for different international markets, it's hard to imagine what sort of problems could develop 'down the road' that couldn't be solved by re-flashing to a previously supported firmware release for whatever brand you're using.

I certainly appreciate Astak tech support not being sympathetic to PP owners who have 'gone outside the family' coming to them with their un-authorized firmware problems. However, I'm keen to load whatever software on this device that best meets my needs at any given time. Eventually, something like Inkpot will be written for the v5 family, and that will be an interesting day.

The only significant advantage that I currently see in using Astak firmware would be for permitting me to read ebooks with Adobe Editions DRM used by my local library and Overdrive. AE doesn't seem to care what firmware is on my PocketPro when it comes to downloading DRM-protected library books to it. But I had to put Astak firmware back onto the device in order to read them as they wouldn't open with the LBook firmware.

I haven't checked any non-Astak reader firmware aside from LBook to see if ADE DRM'd books would open on them, but I would assume probably not.

Cheers!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote