View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Questions from someone wanting a new reader.

At the moment my one and only beloved ereader is an old Sony 505, but I'm thinking of updating. I had ruled out kindles because they don't read epubs, but I have some questions.

1. do epubs convert well into mobi files, with justified margins?

2. do I need wi-fi to use a kindle? All the internet in my home is wired. I don't mind using 3g on the odd occasion I want to download a book from Amazon, but is this necessary; can I just sideload books?

3. What formats, other than mobi do kindles read?

4. Are books well-organised on a kindle: by author, title, length etc?

5. If there's a frontlight, can I switch it off?

6. Do they have page turn buttons?

7. Is the font crisp? Is it easy to alter the font style and size?

Any other info relating specifically to kindles would help. I'm not going to buy a Sony because of Sony's abandoning of ereaders. With the new ADE thing on the horizon, kindles are looking more appealling, but I'm concerned about being able to download the super epubs with MR members produce. They're no longer being uploaded in the 505's native format, hence the decision to purchase a more modern reader.

BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote