View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by echwel View Post
I don't understand why neither the touch nor the glo should need forwarding rules in a home-wifi-router. They are not accessed from outside your network, they are accessing the outside internet themselve!?
Well, all I can say is that my router logs showed that, upon initiating a sync, _outbound_ packets from the IP address assigned the Glo were being dropped for lack of an explicit rule (or "service enabled", as they say in Westell 327 language).

Quote:
Port-forwarding is used when accessing a device from outside a NAT-network.
Yes, all my WiFi toys draw their IP addresses form a pool of NATted addresses: 192.168.1.something-thru-something. (I'm not home now).

Quote:
Maybe you set the internal firewall of your router to strict, stopping ALL internet traffic to some (or all) IP-adresses, unless they specifically are opened up again.
I haven't shut everything down, but close.

If it means I miss the occasional dancing kitty, so be it.

Quote:
In that case, it seems logical that a device on one IP-adress has more or less difficulty accessing the internet than an other device on an other IP-adress. Re-configurate the firewall in that case. To my opinion that has nothing to do with port-forwarding, more with port-closing...
Well, two points here: One is that syncing my Glo just up and worked about 24 hours ago. No idea why. I wonder if a mystery device somewhere had woken up and managed to claim the same address?

As for the way Westell allows users to do things, I have three choices:

1) allow Westell to run a maximum security setup

2) allow Westell to run a minimum security setup

3) Run "intermediate": the Westell allows only a small set of default permissions that should get an average user going (http, DNS, etc.), and everything else is either user-selected from a predefined list of "services" (email ports, AOL ports, popular game ports), or the user has to "roll their own" service. All this fun gets called "Port Forwarding" by westell, so I have adopted their language, which may be somewhat imprecise.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote