View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
MikeNorrish
MikeNorrish 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.MikeNorrish 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.MikeNorrish 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.MikeNorrish 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.MikeNorrish 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.MikeNorrish 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.MikeNorrish 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.MikeNorrish 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.MikeNorrish 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.MikeNorrish 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.MikeNorrish 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hey man, sorry for the delay...

The problem was eventually resolved by Kobo sending me a replacement... Apparently individual devices are associated with a particular affiliate by a hardware (or possibly firmware?) level DeveiceID that the desktop client looks up when you register the device.

Did the problem occur for you only after doing a factory reset the way it did for me? That's the bit that makes me wonder whether the DeviceID is stored at the firmware level rather than in the hardware...

Anyway, Sameer & co were very helpful in getting me a replacement, and that's effectively solved my problem. The advice I've been giving to everyone who's asked me about the touch (and I continue to recommend it to my friends, since the device itself continues to be pretty nifty) is to buy theirs online directly from Kobo, rather than buying from Whitcoulls, to avoid the lock in... Meanwhile, a device that's locked to the Whitcoulls store still works fine with Adobe Digital Editions, so you can continue to load books from the Kobo store onto the device that way.
MikeNorrish is offline   Reply With Quote