View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I thought it was lacking in comparison to Pride and Prejudice, and in many ways seemed to be Pride and Prejudice Lite. The same theme of how pride can thwart happiness was explored, but not as compellingly nor as clearly as in P&P. And while I liked for the most part the way Anne was portrayed, I never felt the same level of sympathy for her that I did for P&P's Elizabeth; partly because I felt she shouldn't have let a friend's advice born of financial and social concerns hold such sway over her decisions.

Then there was the way the author expected us to feel sympathy over one of the characters because she was so impoverished she could only afford one servant. Was that meant as satire? I can't afford any servants. Now will someone please feel sorry for me?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote