View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #12
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
With the ease of creating PDFs and converting formats, it shouldnt be a problem to google the book, save the cover image, and import it as the first page of your ebook.

I, personally, see no difference in Pbooks and Ebooks in terms of "rights". The artist sold the rights for their work to be the front cover of a specific book. Whether that book is in paper format or electronic should make absolutely NO difference. Their work, as well as the book itself, is being sold and they will be compensated for the sale (os SHOULD be) regardless of what format.
Actually, I think the current situation is probably most desirable to both the artists and the publishers. After all, art that looks good in print may not look all that good in e-ink or at the smaller size of an ebook reader compared to the size of a hard back.

Quote:
This is like having your image ONLY be licensed for Hard Cover editions, or First-Run editions, and not for paper backs. I've never heard of this.
I don't know if it was a rights issue or not, but I have seen books that have different cover art between the hard cover and the paper back. One book I can remember it being true for was Tom Clancy's Hunt for Red October... though I think that had a lot to do with the fact that the original Hard Back was published by a different publisher than the paper back edition.

Quote:
On a related note, I have seen reprinted hardbacks/paperbacks that show a different cover page than the original. DragonLance first comes to mind. Other examples are The LoTR series of books, and books that were made into movies which show the actors or screenshots of the movie on the cover.
Actually I think different covers for different editions of a book tends to be the norm. At least it is in Science Fiction.. what looked futuristic in the original edition of "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" 45 years ago probably looks silly to many readers today.

Quote:
But a contract for ONLY hard cover or such, I've never heard of. Then again, I'm not in the biz. To me, The cover should go with the book, regardless of format. Pbook or Ebook.
Personally, I could care less... covers are, imho, a marketing tool.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote