Thread: MobileRead December 2012 Run-Off Vote
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
There should be a minimum of 11 I, Robot votes based on the first round, so this early lead by Ethan Frome could be swallowed easily as the vote progresses.

I'm not sure if I, Robot will suffer from any classic backlash. There might be those who don't particularly think of it as a classic. Ethan Frome fits into the category quite easily. So where a different selection (say Crime and Punishment) might have divided the final vote, it's possible that this run-off vote has a more "black and white" feel for some.

But that sort of consideration is hard to predict. Although I personally wouldn't jump to classify I, Robot as a classic. At the same time, I don't object to its inclusion. I possibly would have voted for it myself in the run-off if I happened to own it already.
Well, here we disagree. I know I, Robot is a science fiction classic. Many many people will agree with me.

As for Ethan Frome, I don't think it's actually good enough of a book to be a classic. The only thing it compares to some true classics is that it's old.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote