View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #54
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
There are portable Braille displays, but they are expensive (four figures), less luggable than e-ink readers, and they generally need to be teamed with a laptop, or, more recently, an iOS device. Although that device can take an SD card - you could read documents from that, but you've still only got a line at a time in the most compact devices, and the fragility, expense & battery life issues. Audiobooks tend to be the tipple of choice for portable reading among a few people I know.

Dedicated Braille e-readers exist in the concept design stage.
Thank you for the information, interesting read.
It is too bad that it might not happen due to limited demand and expensive production. Audiobooks and TTS might be viable options, but that is a restriction I would not like to have. IMO it is a too passive activity and you are forced to listen at a continious speed. If I pay close attention to my reading, I notice that my reading speed varies depending on the kind of scene (e.g. action scenes, dialogues, monologues) - and sometimes I stop for a few moments as I rearrange people and objects if they are completely out of whack. (wait a second, where did you come from? backup, redo)
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote