Thread: Glo 2.4.0 bugs
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #170
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm not sure what you are doing here. Are you using the Kobo desktop app to download and sync to the device? Or are you downloading the epubs and sideloading them? Followed by a WiFi sync after disconnecting the device.
I never use the Kobo desktop app. Never, ever, not at all. I have wifi connectivity and the Adobe Reader for everything I would ever do with that. When I use the USB cable, it's for sideloading into device memory by using the Kobo as a flash drive.

I don't like using apps unless they actually add something positive to the experience. So far, they don't do that for me, except for using the Kobo app on my iPad for a couple of things (like removing duplicate shelves). That's why I use the terms that the Kobo device and website use, rather than terms like "I'm Reading" which only apply to the apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
And how are you moving from "bookmarked" (do you mean "I'm Reading"?) to "purchased" in the cloud library? From what I have seen, everything you buy is in "purchased" and everything on a device is in "I'm Reading". Deleting from "I'm Reading" put the book in the "Trash" and removes the book from the device at the next sync. In any case, that is what just happened with a test here.
This is why I hate Kobo's inconsistent labeling. "Bookmarked" in the website library interface equals "I'm Reading" in the app. "Purchased" there equals "everything I've bought, including free books, except for what I've trashed." "Trash" on the website is basically the Recycle Bin, where trashed stuff goes until you either permanently delete it or restore it.

On the website, you can copy "up" from Purchased to Bookmarked. You can Trash from either list (moving it from both to Trash), or un-Trash to restore its prior state. The one thing you CAN'T do from the web is remove from Bookmarked without also removing it from Purchased. You have to Delete on a device to make that happen, and that's exactly what I was doing. I'd downloaded newly-bought books (aka Purchased + Bookmarked) to my PC archive, tweaked the titles so they'd display in proper sequence, and then sideloaded via USB to device memory.

Quote:
The sorting is a combination of "Date Last Read" and "Sync Time". If the book hasn't been opened, which means the "Date Last Read" is null, it uses "Sync Time". And from what I can see, "Sync Time" is when the book hit the device. I have a little trouble proving the latter as I tend to sync shortly after buying a book. So the two times are fairly close. But, I have never had a newly purchased and downloaded kepub not turn up on the home screen.
Well, I have, in this very incident.

Quote:
Also, Recent Reads is not the same as what is on the home page.
I'm well aware of that. That's why I said "Recent Reads" and didn't mention the home carousel. YOU brought that up.

Quote:
I don't tend to read the kepub version of books I buy from Kobo.
Nor do I; that's the whole reason why I do things the way I do. Download, fix, sideload. The hole in the process is that there's no way to keep your purchase in your library but off your device without syncing the device so you can Delete it from there.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote