View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Thanks for the overview of color gamut, jharker! That was a very nice summary of a set of concepts that I vaguely understood, but would have had a lot of trouble explaining to anyone if asked.

I think a couple of other aspects of this display will factor into its eventual success (or lack thereof): pixel size, power consumption and refresh rate. Pixel size can only be helped by being able to set the color of each pixel without having to use 3-4 pixels to get color (as with LCD displays now). If the power consumption is still fairly low (and generally speaking, reflective screens use a lot less power than backlit screens, that holds some promise for ebooks. But speed of refresh is still a potential hurdle. This is an issue with e ink now-- probably existing e ink displays are about as slow as the market can possibly accept, and too slow for some purposes. I wonder how the refresh rate would be with this technology?

(Then there's manufacturing expense, of course....)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote