View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Post This Week's Books

This is my 400th. post and I wanted to mark the occasion by making it a thread.

We should make this thread a regular one. I believe that it would enrich our small community of passionate readers, by suggesting to others, books they might not have thought about or shedding light over a prejudice one could have had over the content of the works. This is not to impose anything. We are a diverse people from different countries, cultures and faiths, some of which reach deeply in our hearts. I welcome what touches others because, human, we are alike in basic need.

The concept is simple; just say what you are now reading, if you like it, if it's e or p and maybe where you found it, or what language you read it in. If I can find a translation I might try it…so could others.

I'll start with mine.

Last two weeks I read the four books, in paper, of the "Hyperion" series by Dan Simmons.
This Scifi saga starts in a fire of information totally alien to what we are accustomed to. Someone pointed out that it felt disagreeably "acid" written. I agree for the first hundred pages. It also had way too much blood for my taste. Then it falls in a quieter mode, more human for the next three books. The story is well crafted towards keeping the reader's curiosity trapped until he reads all of it. I liked it as being very entertaining. BTW I read it in french but I'm not sure I should have done so because there are numerous poetry excerpts by Keats, that can not be adequately translated .

This week and the next:

I've started the paper "Cyteen" saga in english by C. J. Cherryh. This is also Scifi. I'm halfway in the first book and I'm a little disappointed. By the past I read the complete eight book "Foreigner" saga by her and I was thrilled by it. This time I'm not hooked yet. The story is slow to start and has a way too complicated setup that demands extreme amounts of concentration. I just hate to go back and reread a chapter for a name I failed to memorize correctly. Then in some situations like the invention of the characters, it feels like "déjà vu". I keep pushing myself to remember that Cyteen was written before Foreigner. And then the worst for me is that the "futurology" is totally off. Why do humans in three hundred years need coffee? I'm not giving up on it yet. I'm sure she'll surprise and keep me reading…

Next in queue:

"Absolution Gap" by Alastair Reynolds, in paper and english. Looking forward to it.

Have a nice read!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote