View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
hedonism_bot
hedonism_bot began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3+
v3 vs. v3+ as a pdf/DjVu reader

Hi,
after reading threads in here for quite a while, a few things still aren't clear to me, so I hope one of you can help with my decision of which version to buy. I mainly want to read scientific papers on it, most of which come in two-column pdfs. From what I've read so far, I believe that, depending on the type of pdf file, either a conversion to djvu and using tigran's viewer or the reflow option of the built-in pdf viewer would be perfect for this job.

Therefore I'd like to know if it is possible to use tigran's djvu viewer on the v3+. The thread on the jotas+ firmware mod in here made me think so, but in the spanish thread linked in there, it seems like this is only true for the v5.

My first answer to that would have been no, since there is no SDK yet available for the v3+, but then again, neither is one for the v5 as far as i know. Can someone please explain this situation?

My main problem is that I like the idea of having a big choice of open source software available for a device, but choosing th v3, I would be paying more for a device with slower CPU, less memory and less grayscales.
So my main question is: Is there any hope of seeing an SDK and user generated alternate viewers for the v3+ in the near future? And if so, can I use the programs included at the moment as a temporary solution until something better is available or are they as bad when it comes to zooming pdfs as the old reviews of the v3 suggest?
And, on the other hand: how big a difference do the faster CPU and the different display controller really make?

I hope you can clear things up for me.
-hedonism_bot

Last edited by hedonism_bot; 10-30-2010 at 07:42 PM.
hedonism_bot is offline   Reply With Quote