View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #46
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I read samples of the these two titles, about 15 pages each. The first, The Man Who Crossed Worlds, was IMO poorly written. I would put it in the "rubbish" pile. He overused pronouns. "I turned to the left ...", "I opened the refrigerator ...", "I looked up.", etc. He needs to show me and not tell me.

Stained Glass Monsters is better written although not my type of reading material. Her sentences did tend to ramble. She used very few adjectives instead preferring long prepositional phrases and run on sentences. Writing could be more concise. I also wasn't sure (possibly because I didn't read enough) whether this was a cozy para or low fantasy novel. I wouldn't call it "rubbish" but I wouldn't recommend it either. Easily forgettable.
I loved them both and I'm pretty picky. I thought Stained Glass got off to a slow start. It's fantasy. I wouldn't call it cozy. Just a good fantasy. I don't recall a huge amount of violence, so some might consider it cozy fantasy.

I really liked Man Who Crossed. I have started something else by Chris Strange and it wasn't my thing. But I did think both books were decently edited and as good as a lot of what is out there.

Different tastes, I guess!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote